Accidental child poisonings are one of the leading causes of injury and death to young children. We live in a world awash in chemicals, and every household is filled with poisonous substances that children could potentially get into.

Some of these hazards are obvious, such as the medications you keep in the medicine cabinet or the paint thinner and antifreeze kept in the garage. Other potential poisons aren’t so obvious, such as toothpaste or certain spices, which can be harmful if ingested in large doses.

Information on Child Poisoning & Poisoning Prevention

The following information will help educate parents about common household poisons, while offering tips to help you keep these hazardous substances out of the hands (and mouths) of children.

*Not all hazardous substances kill a child outright. Many chemicals poison a child slowly, disrupting their development and leading to adverse health outcomes later down the road. Get our book Toxic Childhood to learn how chemical exposures from everyday products are affecting your family’s health, and what parents can do about it.